The Digital Talent Landscape in Denmark

1 min read
21 Nov 2023

Denmark's digital talent landscape is an evolving force pivotal to the technological ecosystem's success. As of 2023, the digital talent pool in Denmark comprises two distinct categories: digital specialists (such as IT developers or UX specialists), accounting for 46%, and digital integrators (such as analysts and managers), making up the remaining 54%.

Growing Numbers and Profiles

Over the past three years, the number of digital talents in Denmark has surged by an impressive 19%. Currently, there are 205,000 digital talents integrated into Denmark's labor market, signifying a 24% increase in digital specialists and a 15% rise in digital integrators since 2020. Notably, the IT developer profile takes the lead, constituting 31% of the talent pool. 

Gender and Diversity

Despite remarkable growth, gender diversity remains a challenge. Women represent only 30% of the digital talent workforce. The gender gap is especially pronounced in specialist profiles, where only 23% are women, compared to 36% in integrator profiles. On the other hand, the digital designer profile boasts a healthier gender balance, with 53% being women.

Foreign Influx and Talent Migration

Foreign talents also contribute significantly to Denmark's digital landscape, constituting 14% of the talent pool in 2023, up from 12% in 2020. The digital designer, IT developer and digital engineer profiles exhibit the highest proportions of foreign talents. 

Longevity and Partner Dynamics

Approximately 25% of foreign digital specialists arriving between 2010 and 2018 left Denmark within a year. However, the majority now stay for extended periods, with 54% of those arriving between 2016 and 2018 remaining for at least five years. Those with Danish partners tend to stay longer, with 85% remaining for five years or more, compared to 55% with foreign partners.

Labor Market Integration

Partners with employment connections have a profound influence, with 80% of specialists with employed partners staying for at least five years. The retention rate drops significantly to 31% for those without partner employment. This pattern remains consistent even when considering foreign specialists with foreign partners, highlighting the importance of partner engagement in fostering talent longevity.

Data Sources: Digital Hub Denmark

Main Photo by: Sergey Omelchenko