Before you arrive

2 min read
21 Nov 2023

It's essential to understand the visa and work permit requirements to ensure a smooth and legal stay in Denmark. If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you have the right to live and work in Denmark without a visa or work permit. For short visits and tourism purposes, citizens of many countries can enter Denmark visa-free for up to 90 days within a 180-day period. However, if you plan to stay longer or work in Copenhagen, you must apply for the appropriate visa and/or work permit. If you are a non-EU citizen and want to live and work in Denmark, you must work for a Danish company. It is illegal to work in Denmark without a work permit, even remotely.

Most work permits are employer-sponsored, meaning you’ll need to secure a job offer from a Danish company before applying for the permit. Your potential employer will usually apply for the permit on your behalf. Unfortunately, Denmark does not have a digital nomad visa, only a Startup Visa that allows entrepreneurs to invest in the country if their business idea is approved.

Insurance and taxes

Denmark has a universal healthcare system, and to access medical services, you need to register with the Danish health authorities and obtain a health insurance card (sundhedskort). The health insurance card allows you to receive medical treatment and services from general practitioners, hospitals and specialists at little or no cost.

If you're a freelancer or self-employed individual working in Copenhagen for three consecutive months, or for 180 days within any twelve-month period, you will also have tax obligations. To get a tax number, you need to register with the Danish tax authorities (Skattestyrelsen). The CPR number is a unique identifier used for various administrative purposes, including taxation.

To obtain a CPR number and a tax number, visit the local International Citizen Service (ICS) center in Copenhagen or the area where you will be residing. You can also book your appointment online with the Copenhagen ICS. Along with completing the necessary paperwork, you’ll need to provide the required documents, which may include your passport, work contract and proof of residence. 

[ Visit: ]

Opening a bank account

Several banks in Denmark offer English-speaking services to cater to the international community. A few options include Lunar (, a digital bank that provides services in English and is specifically designed for expats and young professionals (Lunar's English-speaking customer support makes it a popular choice for those who prefer a seamless banking experience); and Nordea (, one of the largest banks in Denmark, which offers comprehensive banking services in English. With branches across the country, Nordea is convenient for expats to access their services in person if needed.

To open a bank account in Denmark, you'll typically need a CPR number or a NemID (a digital signature used for identification purposes). Some banks may also ask for proof of residence, such as a rental agreement or utility bill.

[ Visit: ]